- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice sweet potatoes and toss with two tablespoons of the oil and all the seasonings including salt.
- Roast on a baking sheet for 25 minutes, turning now and then.
- Quarter the pears and add to potatoes, tossing well.
- Continue roasting for about 15 more minutes.
- Serve hot.
ORZO AND SUGAR SNAP PEA SALAD
A nice one-pot side dish, good with any meat or fish entree.
1/2 lb orzo / salt and pepper / 1 lb. sugar snap peas, trimmed and cut in halves / 2 small yellow squash, chopped / 3 T. lemon juice / 2 T. olive oil / 2 T. Parmesan cheese or to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil and cook orzo within for 5 minutes.
- Now add the veggies to the same pot. Cook for about 3 more minutes or until just tender.
- Drain well and return all to pot.
- Season with oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and the cheese. Combine well and serve hot or at room temperature.
BROCCOLI, CHICKPEA AND TOMATO SALAD
Sounds too simple to be so tasty. Great with baked fish.
1 large bunch of broccoli, floret only / 1 T. Dijon mustard / 2 T. red wine vinegar / 2 T. olive oil / 1/2 red onion, diced / salt and pepper / 1 small package of grape tomatoes, halved / 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- Boil the broccoli florets in salted water till just tender. Drain very well.
- In a LARGE bowl, mix together mustard, vinegar, oil and red onion.
- Add broccoli, tomatoes and chickpeas to bowl; toss very well and season with salt and pepper.