Simplest Chicken Ever
Who can't use another tasty baked chicken recipe (besides vegetarians?) This requires marinating overnight, but is quick to assemble the following evening, and sublime with a winter squash side dish. Historical reference: we served this chicken, many moons ago, in one of Cafe Drake's first "grown-up" dinner parties, deep in Manhattan's Alphabet City. The entree was followed with a simple green salad, a plate of cheese and poached pears and coffee and chocolates to finish. Guests applauded and A Hobby Was Born. In hindsight we do regret the (timely) dinner soundtrack provided by Nirvana. Smells like youthful folly.
1 1/2 cups dry sherry / 1/2 cup honey / 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice / 4 garlic cloves / 1 T. ground cinnamon / 1 t. kosher salt / freshly ground black pepper / 1 3-lb. chicken, cut into 6-8 pieces / about 2 T. vegetable oil (do not use olive oil)
- Mix all ingredients for marinade together (except oil) and toss with chicken. marinate overnight in the refrigerator in a large zip-lock bag.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove chicken from marinade and, in a large skillet, sear in the oil on all sides for 5 minutes or until skin is golden.
- Move chicken to a shallow baking dish and roast in oven for 20 minutes.
- Boil reserved marinade until thicker, about 10 minutes. Pour over chicken nce it's been removed from oven.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and thinly sliced red onions.